Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Best Laid Plans

I have been avoiding writing this post. No one likes to admit failure or even when life gets complicated and a little bit messy.  We live in a world that craves perfection and composure. Well screw that idea, I say.  My life is beautifully messy and complicated and I refuse to apologize for it.  It doesn't mean that I don't struggle with those parts because I do, but its within the struggle that we really learn about ourselves and others.

Leroy went back to the shelter on friday.  It was a very hard decision but some things pushed me in that direction.  The most important reason was Leroy was starting to throw up his food.  When it happened the first time you chalk it up to the dog eating too fast or perhaps having a tummy ache.  When it happened two more times it becomes a problem, especially when medication is involved.  His last three meals before I took him back to the shelter all came back up.  It was time he visited with a vet to reevaluate his situation.  I think he was doing awesome.  His itching had been greatly reduced, he was no longer red and his skin had smoothed out.  I was a little concerned that after feeding him 3 meals a day that he still hadn't gained any weight but sometimes it takes the body time to heal.  I know what you are thinking.  This is a perfectly valid reason to take Leroy back to the shelter and I am glad you agree.  However, its not the complete story.

All last week I was struggling with Leroy's barking.  I would say that my dogs are mostly indoor dogs, but really they are both indoor and outdoor dogs.  I have the dogs on a schedule.  They are inside for a few hours and then outside for a few house and then back in.  This goes on all day.  Of course, depending on weather and my schedule they may spend more time outdoors or indoors on any given day.  Most days its an even mix of the two.  Leroy was part of this schedule.  Unfortunately, Leroy likes to bark.  Now he isn't barking to get in or even barking at my neighbors.  He barks at the squirrels in the tree.  He is only barking because that's what dogs do at squirrels, but there is such a think as too much barking.  To top it off, during on of his forays into barking and chasing squirrels he partly knocked down my shared fence with my neighbor.  Things are not going well.

I have amazing neighbors.  They have been so helpful and supportive.  They are dog lovers but they have limits like we all do.  After speaking with them about the fence and the barking, we decided that Leroy needed to find a new foster family or preferably a forever family.  This was a very hard decision but I couldn't ruin my relationship with my neighbors.

I dropped Leroy off on Friday and was assured he would see a vet and they would figure out what was going on with him.  They also said they would find him a new foster mom as soon as the vet gave the ok.

I called the shelter yesterday to get an update but the shelter was slammed with people and couldn't get me any information.  I am keeping an eye out and am sending good vibes to Leroy.

This was a very interesting experience and one that I am very grateful for even if it turned out to be shorter than I expected.  I appreciate everyone following along with the journey.  Many thanks!

Now someone go adopt Leroy!


No comments:

Post a Comment