Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ain't Nothin' but a Hound dog

I have a coonhound in my living room chasing one of my dogs.  How the heck did I get here?  My husband would probably say it was due to a streak of insanity.  He is probably right.

It all started yesterday evening as I was madly working on graduate homework.  I was procrastinating on Facebook when a post popped up from Canyon County Shelter.  There was a picture of a sad looking hound and a post urgently requesting a foster family.  Leroy was suffering from a severe skin allergy believed to be caused by food.  They were requesting a foster family for 4-6 weeks. I really don't know what came over me but within a minute of reading the post I felt this deep need to be his foster family.  Where did that come from?  I still can't tell you.  I love dogs.  Maybe that is enough said?  

I jumped into action by posting on Facebook my desire to foster him.  Then I decided to call the shelter at almost 10 pm to leave a message just to be sure I would be at the top of the list.  Of course, for good measure and because I was avoiding my homework, I decided to email them a completed foster application.  In the middle of that homework avoidance-dog obsessing, I remembered to call up my dear husband to tell him what I was doing.  I didn't really ask.  I basically told him what I was doing.  He knows me very well and said he wasn't surprised.  I have to say I married the right guy!

First thing this morning I was on the phone with the shelter.  Let's just say with some back and forth and a trip to Caldwell with my two hyper dogs and 2 year old son, we were the lucky ones to bring Leroy home. Hurray!

Leroy appears to be an awesome dog.  He is sadly in very bad shape physically.  His skin allergy is the worst I have ever seen.  His fur is very patchy and what fur he does have is straggly and coarse.  His skin is red and almost scaly.  He has soars in various places from itching too much.  When you pet him, he feels almost oily yet he looks too dry.  He smells bad but its a bearable dirty dog smell.  His eyes are kind and he has a strong frame with very big feet.  He is skin and bones and I would say is probably 10 lbs, maybe 20 lbs under weight.

This is going to be a journey.  I decided that some journeys are worth sharing and what better way than through a blog (even if its short term).  I also think Leroy could use all the prayers, good karma and kind thoughts that everyone can muster.

I hope to update everyone on Leroy's progress as often as I can and as milestones happen.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment