Monday, February 17, 2014

Feeling GOOD

Leroy is making leaps and bounds in his health and it has only been a matter of days.  I think this boy is going to be ready for his forever home soon.  I hope the veterinarians agree at his next check up.

Let's run down some of his improvements:

  • His skin has turn from lobster pink to a pale blush but mostly a muted grey
  • He has noticeable been itching less
  • He has gained some weight although still not enough
  • His energy level has skyrocketed
  • He is on one less medication!
I am excited that Leroy is doing better.  However, he has become a little more challenging to work with mostly due to his high energy level and his strength.  Leroy is a big dog!  It is hard to see that since he is so skinny but there is a big dog in there.  He is incredibly strong and with the nose of a hound he goes where the nose goes.  Thankfully, I have experience working with a big dog, but it should be something his forever mom and/or dad should consider.  

Nothing about any dog is good or bad per say.  It is a matter of evaluating your needs and skills with the needs and care necessary for the dog in question.  Remember to consider what kind of time you have for grooming, training and snuggling.  Depending on the dog, their needs in these categories will vary with some dogs needing more than others.  Most "problems" are really just opportunities for training which takes time and patience. 

I am so glad the weather is finally looking sunny these days.  I could tell the dogs were getting cabin fever.  They have been lucky enough to hang outside for most the days these past couple of days.  I know they have enjoyed their time although they might have enjoyed their time a little too much!  Some  fence posts have been knocked over mostly because they were old but they had a little help from the dogs.  I don't think our neighbor was none to happy although he never explicitly shared his displeasure.  I am a little worried he is also upset with all the dogs barking.  They have been barking at the squirrels  but clearly this can be a problem.  I am hoping to chat with my neighbor about the situation to make sure we keep the line of communication open.  We love our neighbors and want to respect our shared space.  Fingers crossed we don't have to return Leroy early.  

I also want to remind everyone how awesome it would be to find Leroy's forever home!  If you or someone you know would love to be Leroy's forever home please speak now!  Email me or contact Canyon County Shelter.  I am sure we can work something out so you can take Leroy sooner rather than later and you can be instrumental in his recovery.

Anyone have any tips or tried and true methods to help reduce barking?

No comments:

Post a Comment